Help Wanted: Patient Voices Needed



Once is a blue moon an event occurs that transforms your life into one with greater meaning and satisfaction.  This year I attended the American Association for Cancer Research's  (AACR) Annual Meeting in San Diego. I was selected to be part of the AACR's Scientist-Survivor Program (SSP). Attending this event was that life changing experience. Before arriving at the Scientist-Survivor Program I called myself an advocate, but I really didn't have a clear understanding what that entailed. I know an advocate is someone who supports a cause or idea.  Advocates speak out on issues that they care about and offer ways to improve upon them. But the concept of advocacy was still confusing to me. When someone would ask me to describe my advocacy work I didn’t know where to focus my response. Many people are referred to as advocates, but they seem to be doing a lot of different things. Why were they all called advocates?  When I attended the opening session of the SSP program a light bulb went on in my head.  I had that “Ah Ha” moment.  A simple graphic explained my confusion.  There are many different types of advocates.  From that simple graphic I learned that there were Support, Political, Fundraising, Watchdog and Research. No wonder I was so unclear.

At the opening session of the SSP program Karen Russell Mills, the SSP program manager, asked the participants to write down goals and hand them to her. During the remainder of the opening session I intently listened as Carol Bass PhD, a past SSP participant, Dr. Anna Barker and Amy Bulman from the National Cancer Institute’s (NCI) Office of Advocacy Relations (OAR) explained the different roles of advocates.  From their presentations I realized that I already was a support, fundraising and political advocate, but the term research advocate was foreign to me. The wheels of my mind were turning. What exactly is a research advocate and how can I become one?  My goals were set. I handed Karen a slip of paper that stated I wanted to discover all I could about research advocacy during the AACR convention and to act on my learning after the annual meeting.

Many of the other participants in the Scientist-Survivor Program were already research advocates serving on IRB's (Institutional Review Boards), participating in advisory boards, speaking on panel discussions at scientific meetings and refining cancer research education materials. They were very willing to guide me on how to become involved in this new avenue of advocacy. They told me about training opportunities and helped me better understand the research process. Although no one was a myeloma survivor like I am they graciously became my mentors.

Upon my return from the AACR's Annual meeting I created a research advocate profile on the NCI’s newly designed Office of Advocacy Relations (OAR) website. http://www.cancer.gov/aboutnci/organization/oar/become-advocate   But I felt I was at a stand-still. I was in the NCI system, but I only would be contacted if they needed a research advocate that matched my profile. I wanted to do more, but wasn’t sure where to turn.


As luck would have it a session on research advocacy was held at the International Myeloma Foundation's (IMF) annual Support Group Leader's Summit which I attended. My interest was sparked once again. The IMF research advocates presented their work to the group and encouraged us to get involved.  They suggested we start our advocacy efforts at our locally. I took their advice and contacted my hospital. I asked if I could observe one of their Institutional Review Board meetings. (IRB) They were very accommodating and invited me to sit in on a session. After the meeting I wrote a thank you note and asked how I could become involved as a patient advocate.  In response to my question they invited me to begin a training process that would ultimately lead to a spot as an unscientific, unaffiliated member of the board.  

I wouldn't have pursued the area of research advocacy if I didn't attend the AACR's SSP. I networked with inspiring and knowledgeable advocates while I was in San Diego.  Although no one came from the myeloma community, they all were very helpful in pointing me in the right direction. Many seasoned advocates took me under their wing. The networking I was able to do and the lasting friendships I made impacted me profoundly.

Why am I sharing this?   Anyone can become an advocate.  You can be a support advocate, a political advocate, a fundraising advocate or a research advocate. Research advocates are needed because they bring the non-scientific viewpoint to the research process and communicate the patient perspective. Research Advocates advise, design, review and disseminate information. Research advocates are passionate about making a difference for cancer patients. Advocates can help research progress faster and furthering by sharing their insights and experiences.  Providing the patient’s voice during every step of the research continuum is vital. Research is what is saving my life! If you are interested in research advocacy apply to be part of AACR’s Scientist-Survivor program. You won’t regret it, I didn’t.


By Cynthia Chmielewski  @MyelomaTeacher on Twitter



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lizzie Smith- We Can Do More and Will Do More!

3 Days- 72 Hours

What I Learned in The Big Easy- We Can Make a Difference