3 Days- 72 Hours


A lot can happen in three days. I could drive from my home in New Jersey to California in 3 days. In the New Testament Jesus told the Jewish populace at the Temple, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days."  It will take three days to have the hardwood floors in my home refinished. It never occurred to me that when I hung up the phone after chatting with Pat Killingsworth three days ago it would be the last time we would be chatting. 

Pat was a blogger, a mentor, an advocate, but most of all a dear friend.  I met Pat several years ago at a Patient Ambassador training and grew to admire him the more I got to know him. Pat's mission was to educate the myeloma community.  He accomplished that and much more through is blogs, books, speaking engagements and his beloved Beach Party.

Pat was an unique individual. He put others above himself.  He blogged EVERYDAY. Pat often pushed himself to publish a blog post from his hospital bed, after a long day at a medical conference and even when he was on vacation.  Pat pulled no punches.  We was honest and told things the way he saw them- no sugar coating. His candor was refreshing. He inspired me and others by sharing the ups and downs of his journey, how he arrived at his decisions and how he advocated for causes he believed in. 

Pat often gave me a hard time for not responding to one of his heart-felt posts. I did read Pat's blog daily.  But unlike Pat, I hate to write.  I'm more of a talker. So when Pat wrote something that I wanted to respond to I would give him a call.  After I read his last post, "I'm Not Dead Yet", I gave him a ring.

From his hospital bed Pat updated me on the latest happenings in his medical care, in turn I updated Pat about the latest happenings in my life.  He told me excitedly about his upcoming Beach Party and made it apparent he wanted me to attend.  We joked a little, Pat loved to joke around. Then we said our good-byes.  I promised Pat I would check in on him again once I returned from my trip to his beloved Wisconsin.  I'm breaking my promise and I'm heartbroken about it.

Pat, although you gained your angel wings today on your 60th birthday- your legend will live on.

You have had a significant impact on the myeloma community and you will be missed. NO ONE could ever do what you have done.  Rest in Peace my dear friend. Until we meet again.




I will be at your Beach Party, it is your legacy.

"Feel good, and keep smiling."  

Love always, Cindy 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lizzie Smith- We Can Do More and Will Do More!

What I Learned in The Big Easy- We Can Make a Difference