Movie Trailers and Myeloma



Today I went to the movies with a good friend.  I always look forward to our girl's day out to see the latest flicks. We went to see Still Alice.  Although it was sad I still enjoyed the movie very much.  Julianne Moore definitely deserved the Oscar she won.  I'll write more about the movie in another post. Today I want to focus on how I know I'm in a better place than I was 6 years ago.

Six years ago I didn't enjoy going to the movies.  Actually I dreaded going to them for several reasons. I had a hard time focusing.  My mind would wander.  If the movie didn't catch my attention  I would start to think about all that was happening to me and what my future would look like.  I would have a private pity party right there the theater without inviting anyone else.

Focusing was not only an issue at the movies, I couldn't focus on reading a novel either. I would re-read the same page several times to try to comprehend what was happening, and if you asked me to name the main characters once I put down the book I would have no recall. Reading was frustrating, BUT most frustrating was the inability to focus when I was out with friends and more than one conversation was going on at the same time.  I was completely lost and couldn't contribute to any of them. I still have a hard time focusing, but have learned to compensate using various strategies.  This is one of the benefits from teaching ADHD students for several years.

Another reason I disliked going to the movies was once the lights went out it was hard for me to stay awake.  I remember attending the Dark Knight with my daughter in an IMAX theater in Atlantic City. We had to wait in a long line to purchase the tickets.  The show was sold out hours before its start time. The lights went out and twenty minutes later everyone around me was captivated ....I was snoring.  My daughter was mystified on how I could fall asleep in this action packed thriller. There was even surround sound in the theater

The main reason I didn't like going to the movie theater was the previews AKA trailers.  All I could think of when I was watching them was will I be alive when they actually came to theaters in six months? Will I get a chance to see the movie? 

Now I enjoy movie trailers. I no longer think about not being around when the movie is released.  My future is still uncertain, but I have learned to live in the moment.  I don't worry about the what my life will look like in six months or a year.  I have confidence in my doctors and myself. I know I am doing everything possible to keep my myeloma in check. I know that I have a good medical team in place if I relapse. I know there are other treatment options available to me. And most importantly I know how important it is to live each day to its fullest.

 Magic Mike XXL is being released in July and I am already looking forward to a girl's night out!  Who's in? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Days- 72 Hours

Lizzie Smith- We Can Do More and Will Do More!

I Get By With a Little Help from My Friends - A Fresh Chapter